How to Become a Professional Actor
If a life on the stage or in front of the camera has always been your dream, we can help.
Steps to becoming an actor
There is no single path to becoming an actor, but there are some steps every aspiring actor should take to give them the best shot at being successful.
- Take acting classes. Even those born with a natural acting talent can learn from the professionals. Take some acting classes in person or virtually to hone your skills if you’ve done some acting, or to learn the basics if you’re just beginning.
- Have a quality headshot and acting resume. Most casting calls will require you to submit some information about yourself before you are able to audition. A professional photo and polished resume can make you stand out among the competition.
- Gain some acting experience. Whether it’s a musical at school, a community theater play, or a video for a local non-profit, there are many ways to gain some experience on the stage before trying out for paid roles.
- Find and attend casting calls. The best way to find legit acting opportunities is by working with an agent. They will know what casting calls are the best fit for you and will likely be able to help you secure an audition.
- Practice, practice, practice. Actors not only need to practice for upcoming auditions or roles, they also need to practice when they have no leads. Continuously practicing your craft will ensure you are ready when the time comes.
Types of acting
There are so many ways to put your acting skills to good use. You may find you prefer one type of acting over another, or you may enjoy trying different things throughout your career.
- Movie or TV actor
- Voiceover acting
- Live entertainment
How Discovery Spotlight can help your acting career
Discovery Spotlight provides new actors the training and opportunities they need to launch their careers. During our virtual and in-person talent expos, we offer acting classes taught by veterans of the entertainment industry. Attendees also have the opportunity to perform in front of several talent agents and casting directors at every event.
Have your acting reel evaluated by professionals - FREE!
Spotlight Success Stories
Madison Iseman was born in Myrtle Beach, SC in 1997. Madison signed with CDMT Agency in the summer of 2008 and attended the expo in 2009, participating in the modeling and acting divisions.
She has since appeared on "Modern Family," Nickelodeon's "Henry Danger" and "Still the King" on CMT. She can be seen with Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart and Jack Black in the feature films "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" and "Jumanji: The Next Level." Her recent credits include the lead roles of Sarah Quinn in "Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween" and Rain in "Fear of Rain" starring Katherine Heigl and Harry Connick Jr. You will also see her as Vivian in Amazon's "Nocturne" and Amy in "Clouds" on Disney+.
Dejean Deterville attended the expo in 2013 and participated in the Acting Commercial, Acting Monologue, and Fashion Runway showcases.
Since then, he has appeared in the feature film "83 Days" starring Danny Glover and can be seen on "Empire" on FOX, "Fresh Off the Boat" on ABC, and Rebel on BET.